The Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) was created in 1983 to supplement and expand the work of local social service agencies, both nonprofit and governmental, in an effort to help people with economic emergencies (not disaster-related). EFSP funds may be used to provide economic assistance in the long term, even if the current circumstances may have been impacted by an earlier disaster occurrence. EFSP funding is open to all organizations helping hungry and homeless people. EFSP funds must be used to supplement feeding, sheltering (including transitional sheltering) and rent/mortgage and utility assistance efforts only.
Emergency Food and Shelter Grants Phase 34 Announcements
On behalf of Local Board 077600 of the Emergency Food and Shelter Program, UWMC is pleased to announce the availability of funding to supplement feeding, sheltering, and rental and utility assistance efforts in Monterey County. A total of $315,037, an increase of $17,329 from Phase 33, will be awarded to Monterey County. Funds are available for 501c3 nonprofits organizations that provide emergency food, shelter and rental assistance. Funds are not available to food pantries nor for non-emergency services. Below are the grants for the previous cycle.
Applications are due on April 28, 2017.
If you are an individual seeking assistance, please contact 2-1-1 Monterey County dialing 2-1-1 or going online at www.211mc.org
Last year, funds were allocated to the following organizations.
- CATHOLIC CHARITIES - $44,415 - Rental Assistance
- COMMUNITY HUMAN SERVICES - $5,424 - Served Meals & Food Distribution
- FOOD BANK FOR MONTEREY COUNTY - $100,000 - Food Distribution
- MEALS ON WHEELS OF THE MONTEREY PENINSULA - $20,000 - Served Meals
- MEALS ON WHEELS OF THE SALINAS VALLEY - $20,000 - Served Meals
- SALVATION ARMY - $72,415 - Served Meals, Shelter Assistance
- SUN STREET CENTERS - $15,00 - Served Meals & Mass Shelter
- THE VILLAGE PROJECT - $14,500 - Food Distribution, Rental & Utility Assitance
- Allocation Total: $297,708
EFSP is governed by a National Board that selects jurisdictions for funding. Local Boards are convened in those qualifying jurisdictions to determine the highest need and best use of funds and to select Local Recipient Organizations (LROs). United Way Monterey County serves as convener of the Monterey County Local Board. Current Board members are:
- Judge (Ret.) Jonathan Price, United Way Monterey County, Chair
- Michelle de Campa, Advocate
- Patsy Gasca, American Red Cross
- Rabbi Bruce Greenbaum, Congregation Beth Israel
- Terrie Iacino, Catholic Charities
- Glorietta Rowland, County of Monterey
- Lt. Jennifer Swain, Salvation Army, Monterey Peninsula Corps
For information about the Emergency Food and Shelter Program or Local Board 077600, please visit the EFSP website or contact:
United Way Monterey County